Materials, Styles, and a lot more!
The first thing anyone notices when they walk into a house is the main door. In the same way, the first thing you notice when you enter any room is also the door. Doors are a very integral part of the house that sadly is very much overlooked. In India, most of the houses we rent or buy, come with already installed doors. We don’t really put a lot of thought into the selection of doors and its high time that architects and interior designers change that! The style of doors you choose can elevate the interiors of your project so much. There are so many materials in the market to choose from and that can make it quite confusing for a new architect. In this blog, we will discuss in detail about doors and how to select the type of door based on your project.
When choosing a door there are a lot of factors that go into the whole process. As the designer, you will have to discuss these various factors with your client so that you can get the perfect door type for the project. Materials, soundproofing, swing type, budgeting, etc are some of the points you will have to keep in mind. Here is a detailed description of the important factors –
1. The type of material –Doors are very versatile and come in wood, MDF, glass, etc. Wood is the most commonly used material for doors and can be customized as per the client’s choice. Wood is strong, durable, and is good to deflect the noise. MDF is cheaper than wood and offers the same benefits. If your client is on a budget then MDF is a perfect choice. Glass doors are used to give a really modern and sophisticated feel. They are best used for show than for protection.
2. Aesthetics – The color of the door is very important as it is the element that sets the tone for the whole room. Make sure to first understand the whole vibe of the interiors and only then pick the color for the door. In case you don’t find the exact shade, you can always paint over the door.
3. Locks, Hinges, and Handle/Knob – The hardware part of the door is very important as it is used for safety purposes as well as enhances the aesthetics of the door. The type of lock you choose is very important. You can pick from a deadbolt, padlock, or even a chain lock. The hinge though placed towards the corner must be carefully chosen in terms of colors. The type of handle or knob can depend on the style of the fixtures in the house. Choose a similar style that will blend well with the interiors of the house.
4. The core of the Door – The door can be either hollow or solid-filled. Hollow doors are cheaper, lightweight, and very easy to install. Solid doors on the other hand are very good for soundproofing and for insulation in cold conditions.
5. Style of the Door – There is no rule as to how many panels you can have on the door. You can install single or multiple panels of different shapes. You can also play with the shape of the edges, bevels, and depth of the panel.
6. Sound Proofing – While choosing materials make sure that the material is good for soundproofing. Especially if you are living in a highly populated urban city that is prone to a lot of sounds. Wood is great for soundproofing and a layer of fabric upholstery can be added as paneling for intense soundproofing.
Now that we have discussed the important factors on how to select a door, let us discuss the different door styles. There are so many styles of doors and here are the most popular ones!
1. Hinged Doors
Hinged DoorHinged doors are the most commonly used doors and the type of door most of us will have in our houses. 3 hinges are installed on the side to which the door is attached and the door can swing to and from the room. Hinged doors are the most classic and easy choices for the door. If your project is leaning towards more functional and fuss-free interiors then you should pick hinged doors.
2. Paneled Door
Paneled doors are the other most commonly used door style. It usually comes with a main wooden frame that has many smaller panels made of glass, MDF, plywood, etc. paneled doors are yet another option for fuss-free interiors but to quirk it up you can interchange wooden panels for some other materials.