Follow these expert tips for a successful house renovation project!
Owning real estate assets is tricky due to the multiple repairs and renovations you will have to do for the upkeep of your property. Whether you are currently living and plan on selling or whether you want to continue living the property, house renovations are a tricky and expensive process. Especially if your house is on the older side, the renovations will be on the expensive side. Planning to give your house a revamp by renovating the interiors either for yourself or putting the property on the market can be called a house renovation project. Most people think that they can carry out the whole renovation process on their own. However, this is a common misconception due to the fact that the renovation process is a very detailed procedure. Also, people think that hiring professionals will lead to expensive bills. This is untrue and will be discussed in detail in this blog. There are many misconceptions in the whole renovation process which leads to poor quality work and costly bills. As architects or interior designers, your responsibility is to win over the client and hand over good quality work. There are many official standards and rule books that are used for renovation projects. However, it can be quite confusing to glance through every rule mentioned. There are many ways to approach a house renovation project and here are a few tips for all architects and interior designers for their renovation-oriented project.
1. Plan the Schedule
Before you begin any renovation work, inspect the current structure and list out what are the changes your client needs. Especially when you are dealing with the renovation of older properties, there is a lot that needs to be taken care of. From checking the stability of the old structure to getting necessary permissions, planning is the key element of the renovation process. Make a list of priorities highlighting which task requires the most and least attention. Make sure to have drawings of the changes you want to incorporate because the drawings will become the guides for you during the whole renovation process. Schedule a timeline for the work and make all efforts to stick to it. Organize the paperwork and maintain it regularly. Having a well-thought plan will minimize the number of mistakes you will make during the whole renovation project.
2. Client is God
As you are the professional in this renovation scenario, you will have so much insight as to what needs to be done. However, you have to give the client full attention and follow his instructions to come up with a good renovation design. Even if you do not agree or support the client, try to meet in between by creating a design that reflects your ideas blending with the needs of the client.
3. Budget and Finances
Take into full consideration the budget of the client and plan your design as per their budget for the renovation. Make sure to get multiple quotations from painters, electricians, plumbers, and other service providers before you make a final decision. As you are handling someone else’s money, make sure to ask for referrals and read reviews thoroughly before purchasing any material or employing anyone. Make sure to collect payments for your work in installments from the client from the initial stage of the renovation till the final handover. Keep 10-20% of the budget for sudden emergencies that can unexpectedly take place during the renovation.
4. Do It Yourself
Another easy way for a tight-budget house renovation plan could be to DIY certain tasks. DIY or Do It Yourself is a fun process that you could do to reduce the cost of the renovations. Though it is very important to have all the professionals on-site, certain tasks which are simple in nature can be diy’ed by the client itself. Not only is it a fun activity that can bring together the whole family but also help in managing the expenses.
5. Keep Ready for all of the Official Work
Before you begin the house renovation work make sure to have all the necessary permissions ready. Most house renovation procedures take place without any permission from the local government body. However, to ensure the safety and stability of the structure it is important to persuade your client to apply for permission. Currently, for house renovation projects, the building plan needs to be sanctioned by the municipal corporation, and a small fee is charged for the procedure. The amount of the fees will vary and depend on where you live and municipal local rules. In order to avoid any complaints or disputes, make sure to legalize the renovation process by applying for permission.
6. Start the Renovation Work
Before you make huge alterations for the renovation to the site, perform a complete inspection of the site. Make sure that the existing foundation is stabilized and the drainage is secured if the site is a house. In the case of an apartment flat, check electrical, plumbing, waterproofing work. A rule of the trade is to start behind the walls and then move on ahead during a renovation process. Once you have made the alterations within the walls you can proceed towards other house renovation changes.
7. Don’t Make Complete Changes
Even though it is a house renovation project, make sure to retain certain elements from the site to remind the clients of the happy past they shared in the space. It could be as simple as retaining the purpose of the room by giving a simple facelift to it but not losing the original essence. Running behind trends during the renovation will make the house look old and boring in no time. Hence, as the designer make sure to create a bridge between the past and the present through your renovation design. You can use discarded older materials like brick or tiles, utilize and repurpose them to add more character to the site. Let the renovation process happen seamlessly blending the older and new design.
8. No Short-cuts
As lucrative as it sounds, short-cuts during a renovation process can cost not only you but your client, a heavy price. Don’t go behind cheap materials and approaches. Instead, make a thorough research on how to procure good quality materials for the best rate for the renovation process. Investing in expensive and durable material increases the sale value of the house and delays any future repairs. Don’t ever make any compromise with quality during the renovation process.
9. Make the Renovation Sustainable
Make the renovation sustainable by giving a new life to the older interiors. Reuse the discarder materials. Recycle any worn-out objects. Reduce multiple new expensive purchases by repurposing already what is on site. It is always cheaper for the client to reuse what is already there instead of spending a huge sum on new and expensive materials.
10. Disposal Process
While completing the project you will have a lot of industrial-type waste. Instead of sending everything off to be dumped in the landfills, there are so many options to salvage these discarded materials and waste. Firstly, inspect what materials can be sold to scrap shops and set them aside. Then see what materials can be reused and retain them. Sort your waste and segregate it based on its type. Finally, dispose of the waste as per the guidelines for waste management.
Advantages of a House Renovation Process
There are many advantages to a house renovation process in comparison to purchasing a new house. Here are the reasons why you should invest in a house renovation process –
1. Renovations make the space more comfortable and functional – Through a house renovation process, you are able to bring light to the spaces that were not fit for usage earlier. After the renovation process, the functionality of the house will have increased. Comfort is also a very important factor during the renovation. A good architect will ensure that the house is comfortable for living for each member of the family.
2. Renovation is better for the environment – Reusing is always more sustainable than discarding. Buying a new house definitely has its own perks but sadly it is not a good option for the environment. Renovation can be managed in such a way that it remains a green process. The materials used for the renovation can be environmentally friendly in nature.
3. Increasing the sale value of your house – Updates to an old house and making it look new can definitely increase the resale value of your house. Adding new and good-quality fixtures will enhance the value of the house.
4. Giving a new life to an old space – When houses become old, we no longer appreciate their value. We regard it as old-fashioned and rundown. However, when we do a house renovation to an old space, we are repurposing that space using new innovation and design.
5. Cutting down electricity and water bills in the long run – When older fixtures are replaced with new efficient ones, it ensures that no wastage of resources is taking place. Replacing normal electricity with solar energy will lead to lower bills in the future.
Disadvantages of House Renovation Process
Believe it or not, there are always 2 sides to a story and house renovation does its pros and cons. The disadvantages are as follows –
1. Construction noise and improper waste disposal can cause irritation to neighbors – This is something architects are used to by now but for those not in the field, noise and dust can be a huge irritation. Neighbors are often disturbed by constant noise and dust that is left out during a renovation process. this can lead to disputes and seems to be the biggest problem during a renovation process.
2. You will not be able to relocate wet and dry areas – Though a house renovation means a new style, new fixtures, and new design, sadly we cannot completely relocate wet and dry spaces. A house renovation is a limited procedure where you can just play around with the existing spaces.
3. For older buildings that need in-depth renovation, the process can be quite expensive – For older buildings that require work from level 1, renovations can be very expensive. The most basic construction materials might require to be changed and that will only add on to the costs.
In a post COVID world, the real estate market is gradually booming. People are on a rage for redecorating their houses but sadly don’t know where to begin. Most of the ideas present online may look cheap and easy for a homeowner but sadly these methods may make you lose money in the long run. For a house renovation project, the best step you can take is to avoid all misconceptions and hire the right professionals. While people make huge purchases by investing in new houses, as an architect or designer, convince your client for a house renovation instead of buying a new property. Not only is this a cheaper alternative but it also is better for the environment. In India, we are so used to demolishing a house and rebuilding when the house is no longer required. It is time to change the norms and invest in good-quality house renovation! There are multiple advantages to renovation over a new purchase. Renovating your house is like breathing life into a forgotten space. It is a beautiful journey and with the right help, your client is going to be very happy with the results!